Wednesday 12 February 2014

Brrr.. time for handwarmers!

The English are well known for our love of discussing the weather. In fact one of my favourite film quotes is from Sense and Sensibility when Mrs Dashwood says to Margaret "If you cannot think of anything appropriate to say, you will please restrict your remarks to the weather". Quite.

Anyway, the weather has been causing havoc in the UK. My heart really goes out to those poor people whose homes and livelihoods have been ruined by the floods. I feel very fortunate that its not been too bad where I live, although I have noticed that its been very cold. 

My new commute now involves a 20 minute walk, so this morning I decided to dig out the novelty hand warmers that I got in my stocking and put them to the test.

They're from a company called Aroma Home, which I hadn't heard of before but looking at their website they seem to do a lot of these warming products (slippers, microwave toys etc).

Inside the woollen "sock" is a liquid pouch, which has a small silver disk that you crack to release the heat. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but the heat is instantaneous and really surprised me the first time I used it. It lasted the full 20 minute walk to work, although the heat wasn't as powerful with the woollen "sock" over it so I might take it out next time I use it. 

Once the heat has finished, the pouch goes cloudy and quite solid. You need to boil it in hot water to melt the liquid before re-using, which is fairly straight forward to do. However its not so convenient for work, as I don't have a hob and a saucepan to do this at the office. 

Overall I like the hand warmers - they're not quite as good for all round warmth as gloves, although I suppose you could put them inside your gloves, but they're fun and totally cute. A lovely Christmas present :)

No comments:

Post a Comment